Shows Main Idea – It is to the Christian’s advantage to learn about the redemptive use of technology because the majority of humanity lives in cyberspace. There is an “echo of omnipresence” in technology. The missional Christian understands this and is penetrating the cyber-culture for God’s fame. This podcast is chocked full of ideas and best practices for building and sustaining an active and transformative presence.
Listen to the podcast
You may copy and paste this outline into a document so you can continue to add to these notes. If you have a question about this podcast, please go here to ask it.
- Is it the thing?
- Or the thing that points to the thing?
What are you?
(An online ministry is a 100% visual ministry.)
- Your Name
- An Idea
- My signature
Our mission is to help people by providing practical tools and ongoing training for effective living.
- Help People
- Provide Practical Tools
- Ongoing Training
- Effective Living
- Helping People Live Effective Lives
Voice – Tone
- Coffee (relational)
- Relationship, Friendship, Story, Grace, Casual, Coffee Shop, Personal, Togetherness, Life, Help, Hope, Community, Discipleship, Gospel, 1-to-1, Training, Change, Repentance, Culture, Relevance, Identity, Fellowship, Communication, Encouragement, Leadership, Others, Authentic, Advice.
- Avoid These: Clinical, Counseling, Preacher, Stiff, Medical, Institutional, Christian Cliches.
Look and Feel
- Put Together, Real, Genuine, Trustworthy, Current, Personal
- Yellow: #f29c1f
- Black: #000000
- Red: #a02720
- Brown: #994C00
- Blue: #6eccdf
- Real life – Using real photography will reduce the need for you to edit or write on photos. Your article title should carry the weight of the communication and the photo should slightly reinforce that meaning.
- No photoshop or computer generated
- Your site must be mobile friendly
- 70% of content is viewed from a mobile device from most major countries, and that number is growing. (Indonesia is over 90% on mobile.)
- The reality is that while smartphone use is overwhelmingly popular for some activities such as social media, messaging and catching up with news and gossip, the majority of consumers in western markets also have desktop (and tablet) devices which they tend to use for more detailed review and purchasing.
- Understand the social communities
- Each social community is different
- Time of day
- Time of week
- Frequency (If they hide your stream, you won’t reach them.)
Use Your Favorites
- Three main one: You-Twit-Face
- Use what works for you.
- You don’t own the platforms
- What is your plan B if they go away
- Email is always “king” in cyberspace.
- Build your lists
- Don’t add people; give them the option
- Draw people back to your site
- Email is always “king” in cyberspace.
- Mind Maps
- Most content consumed online goes into short-term memory.
- Find your pace and stick with it: You Decide
- Once a week
- Twice a week
- Five days a week
- Short-form attracts people – Fly By & Scanners: builds blog stats, but weak on transformation
- Long-form develops an idea – Leaders: fewer readers, but more transformative
- eBooklets teaches a person – putting several long-form articles on a theme into a booklet
- Find Your Voice – Do not imitate anyone
- White Space
- Don’t double-space between sentences
- 2.5 seconds to capture your reader
- Title – Picture – Introduction
- Purpose: Transform lives
- Slack – https://slack.com/
- Grammarly – https://app.grammarly.com/?affiliateID=1177555&affiliateNetwork=sas
- Headline Analyzer – https://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer
- Facebook Debugger – https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/
- Pic Monkey – https://www.picmonkey.com/
- Canva – https://www.canva.com/
- HelpMonks – https://rickthomasnet.helpmonks.com/
- PowToons – https://www.powtoon.com/
- Crestline – http://www.crestline.com/
- Broken Link Checker – http://www.brokenlinkcheck.com/broken-links.php#status
- SumoMe – https://sumo.com/sites
- Pride and Prejudice – “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”
- The Tale of Two Cities – “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…”
- Moby Dick – “Call me Ishmael.”
- Peter Pan – “All children, except one, grow up.”
- The Red Badge of Courage – “The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting.”
- Jane Eyre – “There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.”
- The Old Man And The Sea – “He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.”
- Two Reasons You Should Start Writing Today – https://rickthomas.net/two-reasons-why-you-should-start-writing-today/
- Why People Won’t Listen to You – https://rickthomas.net/why-people-wont-listen-to-you/
- How to Find Your Writing Voice – https://rickthomas.net/find-writing-voice/
- The How and Why of Good Blog Content – https://rickthomas.net/the-how-and-why-of-good-blog-content/
- Creating a Critical-Free Community On Facebook – https://rickthomas.net/creating-critical-free-community-facebook/
- A Worldview For Carrying the Gospel Into All the World – https://rickthomas.net/missional-approach-to-carry-the-gospel-into-all-the-cyber-world/