Thanks for visiting. Enjoy this FREE BOOK on Communication

Support for Aging Christians (Over 60)

Home Forums Free Community Forum Personal Questions, Thoughts, and Comments Support for Aging Christians (Over 60)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GaryArmour
    Participant

I am almost 81 years old, married man, with a long, sporadic walk with Christ. I’ve been reading some of your articles and listening to podcasts for a few weeks. I really appreciate the ministry and hope to be able to become a supporting member soon.

For the past 10 years, I’ve taken my walk with Christ seriously and have realized that Sanctification is a process meant to last a lifetime. Having lots of time on my hands, I read almost constantly, seeking continued growth so that I might finish life well. Fortunately, through our church we have many friends, most of them much younger who see my wife and me as “elders” and often look to us for decipleship and leadership. But, because of my health problems, I have been unable to get out to church and small group meetings since about last November. With COVID-19 social distancing we have been encouraged not to get out where exposure is riskier, and we have no visitors to our home except children and grandkids.

Every day I feel more and more isolated from the church and believers we love. I feel I desparetly need someone (male) nearer my age to fellowship with and to speak into those areas where I am lacking. I have yet to find that man in my church, and feel even more isolated. Perhaps this age-related isolation is felt by others of your members or followers who need encouragement as we grow near to the end of life. Please consider writing and/or making a podcast directed at the process of ending life well. Thank you!

Amy McCoy
    Participant

Gary, welcome to the forums! We are so glad you are here. No doubt you have much wisdom to share and we look forward to conversing with you more. Praise God, He is faithful and un-moveable, no matter how sporadic we are. I’m so glad the articles and podcasts have been helping you. They are indeed life-changing.

It’s wonderful that you are now hitting your spiritual stride and are “exporting” your faith, as Rick likes to say. I know how isolating the current situation is with health concerns, especially since you are older and have pre-existing conditions. I feel the same disconnect and loneliness and long for life to return to the way it was before. I am younger than you are (51) and I also long for a strong Christian friend (not just on the internet…I have that here) who can speak into my life. I’m sure that being older and wanting to “end life well” adds layers of emotions that I cannot but begin to understand. Rick will take your request under consideration. We thank you for bringing this important issue to our attention. May God richly bless you as you seek to follow hard after Him!

Kathy Gates
    Participant

Gary, you touched my heart as well. What a blessing your words are and what a tribute to the Holy Spirit’s work in you and through you. Saint, I pray you will persevere and pour into your family and friends. Do not let the devil restrain the work that the Spirit wants to do through you by isolation. WE, need your wisdom in life and all that God is teaching you. What a blessing that you still have your wife and partner with you and that you are being trained up by God to lead her and help one another as you are sanctified in this great gift of salvation.

I a couple of months I will turn 65 and have learned that as long as I’m alive, God has created work in His kingdom for me to do. God intends to use all of His children for His purposes. I have heard some of our women while in Esther Circle lament over their inability to “do” anything any longer for our church because of their age and health. These are women who have been active in church most of their lives always “doing”. They need to be encouraged, listened too, and told that their prayers matter; that their wisdom is important and can be shared by just a phone call or a letter/card ministry especially to the shut-ins and youngers who need “grandparent” mentors. Other than prayer, may I suggest a ministry that is sorely lacking in the church; that of listening and encouraging? Pick up the phone and call your friends or youngers in the church. Contact your Pastor or elders and ask them how you can help call shut-ins or any other member who they might know is in need of encouragement. Do a devotion or Bible study with a group of friends virtually. How is your wife’s walk with the Lord? I pray you both are on this journey together. Over 30 of us women studied the Psalms for the two months during our shut-down here and it was incredibly powerful and stabilizing for many of us. My husband brought one of our old I-pads over to an 85 year old woman’s house a couple months ago and trained her how to use Zoom so she could visit her family and church groups. Praise be to God that He has shown us many ways to fight the devil’s plan to separate the Body of Christ!! Also, do not give up praying for God to bring you a godly man friend whom you need to encourage you. Thank you for speaking out for your age group and for your request.

Amy McCoy
    Participant

Kathy, what wonderful encouragement and ideas! Thank you!

GaryArmour
    Participant

Amy and Kathy, thank you both so much for your words of encouragement. I truly believe you were inspired to share what you wrote above. It will be very helpful to me to reread and ask God to help me to find ways I can serve him each day.

A year and a half ago I felt impressed by God that I should pursue my passion to encourage all Christin men to a deeper walk with Christ and begin a blog for that purpose. Much like Rick Thomas, I had no concept at that time how or where starting a blog would take me. As I read and explored what was involved I began to realize what God was calling me to do was not just a blog, but an online ministry. At age 79 (then) it was very overwhelming to me. But God provided the money to get things started and Men Who Conquer went online in the spring last year.

Now the enormity of this task has hit me, and I asked Him again, “Why have you asked me to do this at my age?”

“Because this is the way I want you to reach out to other men and encourage them. It’s not your worry as to how it will work or to whom you will minister. Use the gift I have given you and write.”

So as He gives me strength, and a message to share I’m trying to be obedient to God’s call. Please pray for me as I endeavor to hear the Holy Spirit and write. And please ask God to find the audience of his men that need that message.

Thank You!

And, thanks again, both of you, for your encouragement and expression of His love!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by GaryArmour.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by GaryArmour.
    Kathy Gates
    Participant

Fantastic. We are praying for you Gary as you lean into Christ and seek His wisdom and direction for His glory. Prov 3:5-6

Rick Thomas
    Keymaster

Very good, Gary.

With today’s benefits of technology, you can minister in many more ways than years ago. Even with the painful and isolating effects of this COVID problem, you can still help folks, as you’re doing with your blog. I realize it’s not face to face, but it does have an impact.

Feel free to add our free forum to your list of places to ministry to others. We encourage folks on the free forum to care for each other, and you’re welcome to do that.
    Rick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.