Thanks for visiting. Enjoy this FREE BOOK on Communication

Abortion Instagram & Questions

Home Forums Private Member Forum to Rick and Team Personal questions Abortion Instagram & Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Angie Balman
    Participant

I am deeply appreciative of this ministry, continue to benefit greatly from its resources and feel in alignment with Rick’s philosophy. That’s why I feel a little squeamish about brining up an Instagram post on Abortion I recently viewed. I haven’t taken the time to dig back through and find it, but essentially the post made a statement along the lines of “and aborted baby, is a dead baby.” (forgive me if it’s not perfectly accurate) It kind of stung me initially. I have not had the experience of abortion, but know those who have, and ironically, it just came up with a woman my husband and I have been counseling for the past 2 months for marriage (& parenting) issues. Surprisingly, it did not come out when we took the couple’s history, but was revealed over dinner I had with the wife recently, one-on-one. Shame on us for not covering that base when we took the history, but nonetheless, I suspect this may explain some of the fear issues I see in the wife. The circumstances of their abortion were such that I feel the typical advice or counsel regarding abortion, doesn’t not often fully account for. They were “baby” Christians who lacked discipleship, and it was determined at the 20 week ultrasound that the baby had a rare and severe condition that would most certainly end in fetal death. At the advice of more than one medical professional, they decided to abort the baby. Sin, yes. Nonetheless, there are nuances in this situation that I’d like someone to speak into. Also, could you please respond to my comment about the Instagram post by Rick. I just seemed unnecessarily harsh, especially for those who don’t just casually have an abortion because the pregnancy was inconvenient. I appreciate the feedback. I just recently took my 16 year old daughter to see Unplanned. It seems this issue has really emerged in my life recently, so I want to be more prepared to engage it with truth and grace.

Rick Thomas
    Keymaster

Hey Angie,
    Thanks for writing. And, yes, the Instagram post is harsh. And inhumane. And horrific. And devastating. And (fill in the blank with any negative, sad word that you wish).

There are millions of these posts, quotes, videos, audios all over the Internet, and all of them are critical for the increasing public awareness about the murder of the pre-born. I thank God that he has given us the means to educate and warn against such an atrocity.

It appears you’re confusing and conflating public awareness and activism with counseling. Those are two different things, albeit impossible to segregate completely.

If I were counseling someone who had an abortion, it would be inappropriate to show or talk about such things—most of the time.

Sadly, sin is not that neat where we can separate it to such a degree that the victims, innocent, guilty, repentant, ignorant and so forth can be segregated to where each audience would be insulated from what the other audience needs to see and hear. If I followed your “logic of concern,” I would have to say nothing about the devastation of abortion.

So I operate in both spheres: I’m an activist who warns and an advocate who consoles.

Thanks for the encouragement about our resources, and I’m glad you’re benefiting from them.

Angie Balman
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Your comment: “Sadly, sin is not that neat where we can separate it to such a degree that the victims, innocent, guilty, repentant, ignorant and so forth can be segregated to where each audience would be insulated from what the other audience needs to see and hear” is really making me think more carefully about not only this issue, but also how one engages other issues, such as homosexuality etc. where “controversial” statements are made. I sincerely appreciate this feedback Rick.

Could you please respond more fully regarding my counselee? I intend to suggest that the fear (mostly through control and “over-performance”) I see in her life may very well be related to this abortion in her distant past, and hopefully, walk her through systematic repentance over this decision. Though i suspect she will claim to have “repented” and received “forgiveness” already, I do not believe she has a robust understanding or practice of either, given her relationship issues. Any thoughts regarding the matter would be appreciated.

Rick Thomas
    Keymaster

Hey Angie,
    I would need more information on her and her husband. I do not know the “nuances” of her situation, as you say. Tell me what you know about her and her husband. What is wrong with the uniquely and as a couple. Also, share their history and shaping influences. These things would help immensely.

Thank you,
    Rick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.