The Unspeakable Podcast speaks to the hidden side of everything, especially those things that are important to you but not regularly discussed in many Christian communities. Kimberly, Brandi, and Kim explore all things that pertain to life and godliness. If you have a question for the Unspeakable Team, please ask it here.
Shows Main Idea – People pleasing can easily become a stronghold in our lives. Does your fear of man trump your fear of God? Whose approval should you really seek? This podcast walks through the pitfalls of fear of man and some practical tips to keep from being ensnared by this common problem.
Read Rick’s article – A practical plan to break free from being controlled by the opinions of others
Also, check out the five graphics in the article.
- 3:18 When People are Big and God is Small by Ed Welch
- 3:34 Pleasing People by Lou Priolo
- 4:00 Questions to ask yourself to determine if you’re a people-pleaser
- Have you ever struggled with peer-pressure?
- Are you over-committed?
- Do you need something from someone? (Have your desires become demands?)
- Is your self-esteem a critical concern for you?
- Do you ever feel as if you might be exposed as an imposter?
- Are you always second-guessing decisions because of what other people might think?
- Do you feel empty or meaningless?
- Do you get easily embarrassed?
- Do you ever lie? (Especially the little white lies)
- Are you jealous of other people?
- If this list doesn’t yet include you, consider this word – evangelism.
- 7:40 Proverbs 29:25
- 8:55 Why the world’s terms for fear of man aren’t accurate
- 10:45 “Faith, which is trust, and fear are on opposite poles. If a man has one, he can scarcely have the other in vigorous operation.” – Alexander Maclaren
- 11:20 We’re not serving the other person when we’re controlled by their approval
- 12:00 Isaiah 6
- 12:48 R.C. Sproul on Isaiah 6 – When Isaiah saw God for the first time, Isaiah also saw Isaiah for the first time.
- 14:00 None Like Him by Jen Wilkin
- 18:35 Fear of man is idolatry
- Ezekiel 14:1-5
- “If God isn’t ruling my heart, someone or something else will.” – Paul Tripp, Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands
- Ezekiel 14:1-5
- 22:25 What you need will control you. If you need someone else’s approval, you will be controlled by that need.
- 26:00 4 practical ways to change the people pleasing thought process
- Be aware of when your own mind is “going there.”
- Do a study on the attributes of God
- Don’t try to manage someone else’s life in your strength
- Remember, God is sovereign
- The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
- Attributes of God by A.W. Pink